Monday, June 22, 2009

A HOT adventure.



Growing up I lived by some of the most amazing amusement parks. Every year for our birthday the kids in my family would receive season passes to some of them, and believe me our parents got their money's worth. I LOVE coasters and rides... except the swings, the swings are evil and should never be ridden! (you know them either as the yo-yo, the chair-o-plane, or the flying trapeze.) Avoid these rides, avoid even being a spectator near these rides; you will thank me someday. Why yes I DID have a traumatic accident on one when I was a kid, why do you ask?

Speaking of traumatizing, when my kids were all finally tall enough to ride a proper coaster I decided it needed to be wooden. So we bribed the heck out of them, and jumped on the first wooden coaster we came across. It turns out that this coaster happens to make the top 10 list for scariest coaster every year. There were actual tears, and threats to never ride another ride again. We couldn't even get them on a log ride after that. Oops! So every year we trek to some amusement park, and I end up riding the best coasters all by myself. Except this year. This year the kids are a little older, a little taller, and a little braver. This year they went on rides without any begging, bribing, or crying! It was awesome!


Aside from the fact that the heat index was 110°, the trip to Wild Adventures was great. The park is small enough that you aren't rushed to do everything, and the employees are super friendly. Because the park was so empty that day we got to ride most of the rides back-to-back, without even getting in line again. "And we're going again!" should be magic words to a ride fan, and they were... until the Double Shot.



Notice the VERY different looks on our faces? I had never ridden this ride before, which is strange because one of my all time favorites is the Demon Drop. First Born decided to ride with me, and I almost didn't because it was getting late and I figured this one was going to be too much for her. Ha! It turns out this one was a little too much for ME. I literally started to panic when it dawned on me that they might let us go back-to-back on this. I wanted off, and FAST. First Born ended up riding it twice more by herself. I think her new goal in life is to ride this. No thank-you!

1 comment: