Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sometimes it IS rocket surgery....


So the second day on the boat did not happen. Engine problems. To help cure my heartbrokeness over this, I was allowed to go to a craft store. My family hates entering a craft store with me and I really can't blame them. I completely tune out and become a magpie; I just can't help myself. Well, on this fateful trip the famdamnly wandered into the "hobby" aisle. Did you know the hobby aisle contains ROCKETS? Once again I'm going to have to blame Pops' current ringtone , because they totally bought themselves a rocket.

After some cursing, the terrible smell of model glue, and huge crisis about Q-tips; we ended up at the abandoned airfield by our house. There was some discussion about how windy it seemed to be, and Pops declared the launch was most likely going to be a dud. We forged ahead, because that is just how we roll. Then this happened:



First Born took that video, and she got so caught up in the moment that she forgot the camera was still running. I didn't edit it because I think it is amusing. Several things about this should be noted. First off, yes that is a jail in the background. Second, yes... First Born was highly concerned that Middle Child and I were about to be killed by the rocket (to her credit she was not part of the building phase, and didn't know there was a parachute). Both Pops and she hid like little babies in the hatch of my car (Pops DID know there was a parachute, so I don't know what that was all about). Third, yes those are Boy Child's crutches STILL in the hatch of my car... what exactly do people do with crutches when they are done being used?




It turns out hobby aisle rockets can go pretty darn high, and really freaking FAR. The picture on the side was taken about halfway during the run to find it. I was sure it got stuck somewhere in those trees off to the left. I was not looking forward to finding it again. Middle Child insisted it had gone into the road that you can sort of see off to the right in the background. I thought there was no way it went THAT far, it is like 1/2 a mile from where we started!






For once she was right. The white thing in the grass is the parachute. I can't believe it went all the way across the main road! We totally got the side eye from those construction workers in the background. I can only imagine what the people driving as it happened were thinking! The damage was minimal, and the repair has already happened. I'm mildly afraid this is going to become a "thing".

No comments:

Post a Comment