Friday, October 2, 2009

Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.


So on the last play of practice yesterday BoyChild hurt his hand. He of course made no mention of this when it happened. He hustled right over and huddled up for the practice review. When he ran over to meet Pops he said "My hand kinda hurts?". So Pops looked at it and knew instantly something was wrong. He called me and told me that he was going to take the Boy to the E.R. and have it looked at. I scoffed at this, it was nearly 8p.m. and he had been at work since 4 a.m.


They returned around 10:30, with a note to make a follow up with orthopedics, some Vitamin M, and a crazy bandaged arm. Pops told me he broke his thumb above the knuckle, he most likely wouldn't get seen until next week, and the pain wasn't that bad. So with little fanfare I sent the boy to bed, because he had a BIG day at school in the morning!

The next morning I got up and started the phone shuffle. Turns out they need to see him NOW. Well I've already sent him to school because this wasn't supposed to be a big deal, but off to the hospital we go. We are taken right back. I think "Huh, this is weird usually we wait FOREVER!". So there are doctors huddled around someone's X-rays they are discussing surgery. I'm glad we don't have to go through that.... wait, what? That's MY kid you are talking about?

After more discussion they tell me that they could try to manipulate the joint/broken bits and then cast it instead. They left this decision up to me? I keep forgetting I attended medical school that one time. But it did sound better than surgery; well until I saw the huge needle and exactly how much numbing stuff they were shooting into him. It wasn't pretty, but apparently he is 10 now and not to be babied or comforted in any way (Pops came in right as this started). Also, never suggest to a boy that they can be the Water Boy for their team. This is highly insulting.

So 6 weeks of cast & 2 more of some kind of splint... unless he does something stupid to re-injure it, then surgery is the only option. Pops sees no reason he can't play in his game tomorrow. Pops might end up knocked out. The Boy is as thrilled about the whole thing as he looks below.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, no!!!! I can't believe that happened to him. And he didn't even complain??? What a tough kid.
    On another note...Heinz is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, no complaining when it happened. No complaining while they were making his hand do things hands should not do, but major upset about football being over. Since then he has been asking for his pain medicine at the right times. Which means it really, really hurts.

    ReplyDelete